Archive for the ‘Latest News’ Category

Coronavirus Update 22nd April 2020

Posted on: April 23rd, 2020 by t34testarea


Properties already unoccupied prior to the outbreak of Covid 19 are still subject to the insurers policy terms and conditions.  If the current Government restrictions mean that you are unable to comply with any conditions applicable to your policy, please contact us to discuss further as some insurers appreciate that these may be difficult to comply with as long as the official Government closures and restrictions apply.

If your property has become unoccupied, or you are no longer trading from your premises as a result of Covid 19, there will be terms and conditions listed in your policy which insurers would normally expect you to comply with.  However, due to the current situation some insurers are relaxing some or all of these so, in the first instance, please contact us in order that we may provide further guidance and advice.

Vehicles now being used for NHS  voluntary workmany insurers are able to extend policy cover to accommodate this so please contact us if this is something you are planning to do.

Business models extended to provide delivery services – Insurers understand that business models may be changed to offer delivery or takeaway services.  As long as vehicles are already on the policy then some insurers will provide this cover (subject to government guidelines being followed).  If this is something you are planning to do please contact us.

Due to continuing high call volumes, in the first instance please email your normal Account Handler or Account Executive or alternatively, email



Posted on: March 18th, 2020 by t34testarea

At the moment we are experiencing high volumes of calls and you may not be able to get through to the Office, or to your usual contact.  Please use the link below to email us – this is a designated mailbox which will be monitored and actioned, although there may be a delay in forwarding any required paperwork etc.  Alternatively, you can contact insurers directly and their contact details can be located in your policy document.  For sake of ease we have summarised details of some of our main partners below, to assist.

Help email– click here

Insurer Type Telephone Number Email
Allianz Commercial Motor (Including Windscreen)

Commercial Property

Motor Trade


0344 391 4092

0344 391 4092

0344 391 4092

0344 391 4092


Ageas Commercial Motor

Commercial Property / Liability

All Household

0345 125 8833

0345 122 3283

0345 122 3019

NIG Commercial Motor

Commercial Property



0345 300 4644

0345 246 5602

0345 246 5604

0870 607 1626

Zurich Commercial Motor

Commercial Property



Private Motor

0800 026 1838

0800 302 9055

0800 783 0690

0800 026 1748

0800 026 1838

Beazley All Claims 020 7674 7081
MGB All Claims 020 3757 0114


Citynet All Claims 0330 159 3887


Oasis/Lexicon All Claims 01903 260959  
Markel All Claims 0845 351 2600


Camberford Underwriting All Claims 0208 315 5015


Accelerate All Claims 0161 235 3227  
NBS All Claims 01274 518383  
Arch All Claims 020 7621 4500
Legal & General Household Claims 0845 270 0088  
SJL All Claims 01905 27775
Covea Household

Commercial Property


0330 134 8186

0845 271 1380

0330 134 8567

LV Private Motor


0800 032 2577

0800 032 2844


New India Assurance All Claims 0845 300 0989





Commercial Motor


Motor Trade

Commercial Property

0330 024 8086

0370 9000 860

0345 600 2716

0370 900 1753

0345 600 2716

BIB Underwriting Motor

Farm / Property

0330 159 8335

01325 385345


ERS All Motor 0345 609 1235


IFARM Motor Claims 01245 396213


PEN Underwriting Property

All other

0345 072 9957

0333 0107 190

QBE All Motor



0808 100 8181

0844 736 9640

0844 736 9520



Rural Motor


01423 876000

01937 838050






Brexit impact on driving in the EEA

Posted on: March 27th, 2019 by t34testarea


Will Green Cards be required if there is a no deal Brexit?
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it is likely drivers will need to obtain and carry a physical copy of a Green Card with them when driving in the EEA as well as Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland to prove that they have valid insurance cover for their vehicle.

Does this apply for driving across the Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland Border?

Action You Should Take

Please contact us as soon as possible before your intended travel date so that we can advise your insurers and request that they issue a Green Card.

Do we need to tell Insurers if a policyholder intends to drive in the EEA before we officially leave the EU?
Yes.  Any policyholder planning to drive in the EEA, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland during or shortly after 29 March 2019 should contact us immediately to obtain a Green Card.

What if a policyholder travels without a Green Card?
They will be breaking the law and may be accused of driving without insurance. They could be subject to a fine, have their vehicle seized or face prosecution. The only other legal option available would be to purchase insurance locally when they arrive in the country (often known as ‘frontier insurance’). However, such insurance cover may not be widely available and may be more expensive than UK issued policies.

How do I obtain a Green Card?
Please contact us as soon as you are aware of the intended travel date so that we can process your request and ensure the Green Card reaches you before you travel. We can email a Green Card electronically as a PDF document to you, however it must be printed on green paper prior to departure. A black and white copy is not acceptable because it would not meet the required format and therefore may not be accepted when checked. The Council of Bureaux (COB) does not set out any rules for the pantone other than to say that a Green Card must clearly be green in colour. Printing the document with an edge to edge green background setting unfortunately still leaves a small white border, this could create possible problems when crossing borders since customer officials might suspect it as a false document.

Will there be an administration fee for issuing a Green Card?
We understand insurers will not charge an administration fee for issuing a Green Card.

What is the validity period of a Green Card?
Regulations deem all Green Cards are valid for at least 15 days from their effective date, they do not specify a maximum period. Most insurers  will issue annual Green Cards in order to reduce additional administration.

Will policyholders still be able to use their insurance to drive in the EEA after Brexit?
Yes. There will be no change to the cover currently provided under motor insurance policies, which includes legal minimum third-party liability motor insurance required for travel to EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. UK policyholders will not need to purchase additional third-party motor insurance policy cover when travelling to these countries with a UK registered vehicle.

Is a Green Card needed for each vehicle insured on a policy?
Yes. A Green Card is required to cover the registration number of the individual vehicle, so a Green Card will be needed to cover each vehicle insured under a policy when being driven in the EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Does a driver need to carry any additional documents if they are driving with a trailer?
The Green Card is required to specify the licence plate of each individual vehicle and identify any trailer or towed vehicles. In some EU member states a separate Green Card is needed for each trailer. Please contact us so that we can advise on the exact requirements of the countries you may be planning to visit.

Is an electronic platform to record and distribute Green Cards being considered?
Yes. This is being considered by the Council of Bureaux (COB) and United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), this would remove the need to print a physical copy on green paper. Insurers are working closely with the MIB and they will inform us of any progress.

Can a Green Card be issued for a non-UK registered vehicle?
No. The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB), as the issuer of the Green Cards, only guarantees UK registered vehicles.  For clarity, the MIB are also not able to issue Green Cards to non-UK registered vehicles which are permitted to drive in the UK.

What if a policyholder loses their Green Card whilst they are abroad?
We can send a Green Card electronically as PDF document, however as previously stated the document must be printed on green paper.

New mobile phone penalties – 1st March 2017

Posted on: May 31st, 2017 by t34testarea

Driving whilst using a mobile phone has been illegal since 2003, but up until now this hasn’t deterred drivers from using their phone to text, take calls, use maps or post on social media when they’re behind the wheel. This all changed on the 1st March 2017, the punishments have increased with penalty points and fines doubling to 6 and £200 respectively. In addition to this newly qualified or young drivers are at risk of having their driving licences revoked.

It remains a concern as to the lack of awareness around this significant change.  One insurer has suggested that 39% of drivers aren’t aware of the changes when questioned in a recent poll of 1500 drivers.

For drivers who already have points on their licences, an additional 6 points for driving whilst using a mobile phone could see them at risk of losing their licence completely, and as such would pose increased risk to any organisation that requires their employees to drive.

The change in enforcement is welcomed following some high-profile cases with many supporters campaigning for change, however from a Duty of Care point of view, we would encourage our clients to remind their employees of these changes. It will also serve as an opportunity to remind employees about company policy and promote a safe driving message.

Can you use a handheld phone when stationary?

No. Even when if you’re stationary at traffic lights, or queuing, you are still driving and in charge of the vehicle so it is an offence to use your handheld phone.

Is it OK to answer a call while driving if your phone is on loudspeaker on your knee?

No. Even though you are not holding your phone, you are classed as driving with a handheld mobile.

What about using hands free?

If you’re seen to be not in control of a vehicle while using a hands-free phone you can be prosecuted.


Insurers to raise premiums following statutory increase in compensation

Posted on: May 9th, 2017 by t34testarea

What’s happening?

The Government has announced that compensation awards following serious injury claims are to be increased substantially.  Amendments are being made to the complex formula used to calculate awards, known as The Ogden Table, to take into account current low investment rates.

These tables are an aid for actuaries, lawyers and others when calculating the lump sum to be paid in compensation for financial losses or expenses (such as care costs) directly caused by personal injury or death. They are prepared by an inter-disciplinary working party of actuaries, lawyers, accountants and insurers.

On 27 February the Lord Chancellor announced that under the provisions of Section 1 of the Damages Act 1996 the prescribed discount rate to be taken into account by the courts when assessing lump sum damages awards for personal injury would be lowered from 2.5% to -0.75% with effect from 20 March 2017

What it means to you

Basically insurers will pay out a far greater amount of compensation and claims costs and, therefore, they will almost certainly increase their pricing on a range of insurances which could potentially incur an injury claim, including Private and Commercial Motor, Motor Trade, and Policies which include Liability covers.

What will SIB do?

As this change will be applied by all UK insurers to all applicable policies, as an Insurance Broker we will continue to closely monitor the market to guarantee that any increases are kept to a minimum for all our clients.



With effect from 1st June the standard rate of IPT (insurance premium tax) will increase again from 10% to 12%

Posted on: May 9th, 2017 by t34testarea


When announcing the extra 2% increase last year, the chancellor, Philip Hammond, said IPT rates in the UK still remained some of the lowest in Europe and that money was needed to pay for the government’s infrastructure plans.

From 1 June 2017, most insurance policies will see the higher 12% rate applied (there is a higher rate of 20% which applies to some other types of insurance such as travel insurance and this will remain unchanged).

Since IPT was introduced by the government in 1994 at 2.5% it has been steadily increased by successive chancellors. IPT has been increased  three times in the past 18 months: the latest rise of 0.5%, which took the rate to 10% came into force just last year on 1 October. Only as far back as 2010 the rate was just 5%.

Please be aware that this rate change will be applied by all UK insurers to all applicable policies.

New rules on Protected No Claims Discount

Posted on: July 26th, 2016 by t34testarea

There is a new order which comes into force on the 1st August 2016 known as the CMA Order (Competitions & Markets Authority) which relates to Private Motor Insurance.

The order applies to private car policies in the name of an individual which are used primarily for Social, Domestic & Pleasure purposes (it excludes motorcycles, motor caravans and any vehicle over 3.5tonnes)

The Act states that the following information must be provided:

  • A warning that protecting your no claims discount does not guarantee premiums will not increase following a claim.  Details of the insurers ‘step back’ table needs to be provided
  • A table which shows the number of years no claims discount a policyholder has earned, and the effect on those years if a claim is made, both with and without Protection
  • An additional table showing the average  percentage that each year of no claims discounts equates to on the insurers scale.  This way you are able to estimate in monetary terms any change to your no claims discount years
  • The implied cost of purchasing no claims discount protection – i.e. the difference in cost between including or not including no claims discount protection.

Full details will be provided verbally and/or in writing for all new policies and renewals quoted or invited after 1st August 2016


Abolition of The Driving Licence Counterpart

Posted on: June 5th, 2015 by t34testarea

It has now been confirmed by Ministers that from 8 June 2015, DVLA will no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence.

For paper licences issued before 1990 the next time the name, home address or licence is updated only a photo card will be issued.

Penalty points (endorsements)

From 8 June 2015 new penalty points (endorsements) will only be recorded electronically, and will not be printed or written on either photocard licences or paper driving licences. From this date, if an offence is committed any applicable fine will still need to be paid and the licence submitted to the court.  The way the court deals with the paperwork will change.

For photocard licences, the court will retain the paper counterpart and only return the photocard.

For paper licences, the court will return it but they won’t have written or printed the offence details on it.

This means that from 8 June 2015 neither the photocard driving licence nor the paper licence will provide an accurate account of any driving endorsements. Instead, this information will be held on DVLA’s driver record, and can be viewed online, by phone or post.

Check online The DVLA have introduced two new developments. The first is called ‘View My Licence’. This facility is designed for the licence holder only and replaces the information that was available to view on the counterpart. Access is granted only to the licence holder; this service is not designed for use by businesses.

The second development is called ‘Share my Record’ and allows any licence holder to create a “one off” licence check code to share their driving record with a third party, e.g. their employer or a car hire company. This code is unique and valid for 72 hours.  This means that an employer can access an individual’s record online to ensure that the driver satisfies all legal and company requirements.

Check by post or phone

Businesses can still contact the DVLA for a check, at a cost of £5 per check, or use the call centre service which is payable using a premium rate number.  In both cases, the driver’s permission is required.



What is Gap Insurance?

Posted on: February 18th, 2015 by t34testarea

Most comprehensive car insurance policies only offer ‘new car replacement’ whilst the vehicle is less than 12 months old. If your car is written off or stolen after this period, the insurance pay-out is based on the current market value.

Whichever make and model you choose and no matter how old it is, the moment you drive a car off the forecourt its value starts to reduce.

If your new car is written-off or stolen, comprehensive motor insurance policies will compensate you to the amount that your car was worth at the time of the incident – also known as ‘market value’. Because of depreciation, this will often be lower than the price you paid, and you may have additional remaining debts if you paid for your car under a finance agreement.  GAP insurance can cover you against these financial losses, more or less filling the ‘gap’ between the cars market value and the original purchase price plus any outstanding finance.

How Gap insurance works

There are a number of different types of Gap insurance, and it’s important to choose the product suitable for your needs. But the basic premise of Gap insurance is the same. If you bought a car worth £10,000, and wrote it off three years later, when its value had sunk to, say, about £4,000, your Gap policy would meet the £6,000 difference. Some new cars lose as much as two-thirds of their value in the first three years, according to Which? Car experts.

The economic climate is also having a big impact on the market value of cars, as current fuel prices mean that diesels and smaller cars are better at retaining their value. Bigger ‘gas guzzlers’ are likely to devalue quicker, as they’re costlier to run.

Eligibility Requirements

You are eligible for cover under this policy provided:

  •  You purchase this policy within 180 days of taking ownership of the Vehicle from a VAT Registered Dealership or Internet Broker.
  • The Net Invoice Selling Price does not exceed £150,000 (one hundred and fifty thousand pounds)
  • The Vehicle is listed in Glass’s Guide and is less than 8 years old, and has covered less than 80,000, on the day that You purchase Your policy
  • The Vehicle is not specifically excluded under the terms and condition of this policy.

If you change your vehicle, provided that no claim has been made you may transfer the remaining cover to the new vehicle (if the replacement vehicle has a higher purchase price than the new vehicle  an additional premium may be required.)

How much will Gap Insurance cost?

Our Gap Insurance costs as littles as £239 for a 5 year policy!  Please give us a call for further details.


Rent Guarantee Insurance

Posted on: February 12th, 2015 by t34testarea

Our Rent Guarantee Insurance has been designed to protect Landlords against arrears and rent default.

If you let a property you run the risk of rent default by the tenant.  Even good references cannot predict a tenant falling on hard times and being unable to pay the rent.

Many  Landlords are seeing an increase in default rates.  Recovering these arrears can be costly and sometimes very difficult and without any guarantee of success or payment.

Our insurance policy will cover Landlords against a default and  it’s very cost effective:

6 Month Policy  12 Month Policy

£88.60 inc ipt                    £123.58 inc ipt

Key Features and Benefits

  • Rent Arrears covered up to £50,000 per incident
  • Legal Expenses covered up to £50,000 per incident
  • No excess to pay
  • Unlimited period of rent arrears paid
  • All tenant types accepted

What we will pay for

  • Rent recovery
  • 24 hour legal helpline
  • Legal Defence
  • Rent arrears
  • Contract disputes
  • Repossession

Significant Condition

For rent arrears a satisfactory reference for each tenant and guarantor must have been obtained prior to the start of the tenancy agreement.

A satisfactory reference is defined as:

  • A credit check using a licenced credit referencing company
  • An Employers reference
  • Where applicable and available a reference from a previous Landlord or Managing Agent
  • Copies of  2 forms of identification

Please contact us for full details